Friday, November 23, 2007

The day after....

Beautiful Michigan Thanksgiving!
And the terrible drive home in a blizzard:


We were very grateful to get home in one piece. Too bad I have to work today, or I may have been able to actually stay and visit my grampa for more than 18 hours. Sigh. The worse thing is, I hate driving in the snow, it is terrifying, and it is always snowing in SW Michigan, through which we must pass to get to Goompa's house. So that means I won't be seeing him again until the spring--that's a long time to be alone when you're 94 years old! It's worse because he got his license taken away after having a bout with heart failure, and has been striving to get it back, but many years of becoming set in his ways as a sloppy driver means he has failed his test the past 2 times. (probably a good thing for the general public, but not so happy for him as he lives in the country.)

I got a neat pattern book on Ebay:

I have always wanted to make Klaralund...

after seeing it on someone's blog, and now I have the pattern. I can't, however, even think of making it in scratchy Silk Garden--if Noro makes anything non-scratchy, I'd be all over it, but I may go for using my favorite, Nashua Wooly stripes tweed. I'll have to think about it :)

There are some other fun patterns in the book, like the zigzag coat on the cover, and this shawl and bag:

I finished some cool items that I will post pics of as soon as I know DD recieved them in the mail. They are her birthday present, and I don't want to spoil the surprise!

I made my grampa a dishcloth while we were there, in bernat handicrafter cotton. It is a very masculine colorway, with slate grey and two shades of dark brown in it. I think he was pleased. And, on the drive back, before the blizzard hit, I had started another four corners washcloth in that same colorway, and this time I think I figured out how to wrap the working yarn around the slipped stitches so there is not a huge hole-y line across the short-rows! yay. can't wait to see this one finished: I'll show y'all after my camera battery gets charged!

Promises, promises!
Now, to go to work. >:[

6 comments:

hakucho said...

Sounds like you had a nice Thanksgiving despite the BLIZZARD! Glad you got home safely :)

Aim said...

Thanks hakucho! I am too. It was very nice to be with the grandfather!

Shell said...

Glad you got home safe! I miss my Grandparents on the holidays. The time with them is soo precious.
I look forward to seeing the items when DD gets them in mail!

Soulknitting said...

Glad you made it home safe!! I've been wanting to make Klaralund for years. Maybe I'll get to it this year. There is a Yahoo Group for it too. LOVE the soup recipes!!

Aim said...

Thanks guys! I was just thinking: Klaralund in the Catalina baby alpaca/silk that I knit with in a later post...yum that would be a treat to wear! Must find other colorways of that stuff :)

Opal said...

I always wanted to make Klaralund. It's really gorgeous in the Noro Silk Garden. Though I'd love to see the Catalina.