Friday, November 7, 2008

Learning to Love Asymmetry

I voted for the turkey...


I have always loved symmetric design. In clothing, furniture arrangements, floral arrangements or hand made items. Symmetry gives items a sense of full-circle completeness. There is something so pleasing about exactly matching something from one side to the other....And I could never understand the draw of asymmetry. Even through my fashion design classes, I didn't get it. Then, 20+ years later, I started seeing patterns like Eastlake:

where asymmetry is the showcase for a fantastic motif.

Now I love asymmetry also, thanks to Norah Gaughan! Norah's designs definitely have it going on, often deriving their impact from the beauty of asymmetry! Norah has done it again!

I'm gonna go now and flip through my copy of Knitting Nature....Happy Friday Night/Saturday morning :D

1 comment:

knittinglane said...

Thanks so much for posting a photo of this gorgeous sweater! I am now on a quest to get a copy of this pattern booklet - which has lots of amazing designs in it. Honestly, us knitters really know how to enable each other, don't we?!
-Michelle