Sunday, September 5, 2010

The First Day of the Rest of My Life



So looking on the sunny side...the past week is over, in which I had a root canal and DH moved out. The weather is absolutely gorgeous right now, and I am a child of God, and His Love for me is all I need. The world does not stop turning for my personal crises, and "My God shall supply all your needs, according to His riches in glory." (Philippians 4:19) I am hanging all my hopes on His promises.

I had a really nice day yesterday, DD came over and we went to the farmer's market, bought some produce, came home and made a stir-fry. We didn't think about rice or noodles to eat it with until it was nearly done cooking, so we just made some couscous (5 minutes!) It was a great mix of potato, eggplant, yellow bell pepper, summer squash, cabbage, onion, garlic--all from the market. We sautee'd it in ghee. For flavor, cumin powder, tamari sauce, salt&pepper, and plum sauce. YUM! It tasted wonderful. Oh, and I was S.T.A.R.V.I.N.G so I nuked an ear of sweet corn in the microwave and nibbled on it while we cooked.

I Love to make corn-on-the-cob in the microwave, and, living in the heart of the midwest, we have the tastiest sweetcorn around! About 10 or 15 years ago, I stopped putting butter or salt/pepper on it, I just eat it plain now, it is so delicious on it's own! To make corn-on-the-cob in the microwave, you just peel back the husks but leave most of them attached at the bottom to the cob, take off the cornsilk, and fold the husks back over the cob. Then microwave it on high for 3-1/2 minutes, fold back the husks for a handle (which you have to wrap with a towel or papertowel due to how hot it is) and eat!

After DD left, DS mowed the entire property for me AND washed the dishes--what would I do without such great kids?! I had a bunch of errands to run, but also went to the library and found some really swell books:

Can't wait to crack into these! Kristin Omdahl is one of my fav designers....

Late afternoon I finally got around to my long-neglected garden. (This summer's awful heat had me hiding indoors 90% of the time. My garden had to fend for itself this year.) I prepped a weedy patch of lawn alongside our patio for a new flower bed, which was initially going to be small, but now the plans have expanded (!) Then I transplanted several of my beautiful peonies to that site, and used the Up Start transplant liquid with Vitamin B1 from Ortho to water them in. Hope they're not too stunned by the move!

After that, I was tired! I went inside and had a Madras cocktail, then took the pup for a long drawn out walk in the late evening sun. What a great day!!! I had also squeezed in time to start one of my novels from the library while laying in the nice warm sun in "the back 40."

I LOVE AUTUMN! I can feel it in the air, the trees are just beginning to turn some of their leaves, the geese are on the move overhead, and I can work in the garden without getting overcome by heat! Wooot!

Today, more planting is planned, but I am also going to church to see Michael W. Smith perform this morning. And I really want some time to work on doilies, so I'll probably set up in the sun to do so later.

Here's wishing everyone the life that God has in mind for you!

In Christ,

2 comments:

raining sheep said...

Uh, is DH like Dear Husband???? Because if that is so I am very sorry to hear that. I am glad to see you are doing some wonderful things and keeping yourself inspired with Church, music and handwork. Hugs. Hugs.

Acornbud said...

What a week! Take care:)